Member Categories, available on The Community Plan or higher are a great way to connect your members around a shared interest, like profession, specialty, or role.
Enable Member Categories
To enable Member Categories, go to Network Settings > Premium Features > Member Categories, and toggle the feature “On.” Once you've enabled categories, you can set up which type of category that's most relevant to your members.
There are 15 options for Member Categories: Interest, Specialty, Company, Title, Profession, Role, Identity, Expertise, Discipline, Cause, Affiliation, Stage, Child's Age, Start Month, Condition, Diagnosis, Spectrum, and Industry; Members may choose one Member Category.
Each Member Category has a different prompt:
- Interest: “Meet members with the same primary interest by sharing yours”
- Specialty: “Meet members with the same primary specialty by sharing yours”
- Company: "Meet members from the same company by sharing yours"
- Title: "Meet members with the same title by sharing yours"
- Profession: “Meet members with the same primary profession by sharing what you do”
- Role: “Meet members with the same primary role by sharing yours”
- Identity: “Meet members with the same identity by sharing yours”
- Expertise: “Meet members with the same primary expertise by sharing yours”
- Discipline: “Meet members with the same primary discipline by sharing yours”
- Cause: “Meet members interested in the same primary cause by sharing what you care about”
- Affiliation: “Meet members with the same primary affiliation by sharing yours”
- Stage: “Meet members who are at the same stage by sharing yours”
- Child’s Age: “Meet members with children of the same age by sharing yours”
- Start Month: “Meet members who started at the same time by sharing when you started”
- Condition: “Meet members with the same condition by sharing yours”
- Diagnosis: “Meet members with the same diagnosis by sharing yours”
- Spectrum: “Meet members like you by sharing where you are on the spectrum”
- Industry: “Meet members in the same industry by sharing yours”
Add a Custom Dropdown List
After you select your type of Member Category, you can add options for your members to choose from. For example, our own list in Mighty Community prompts members to add their Profession, so we’ve added:
- Brand Builder
- Community Manager
- Marketing Leader
- Not-for-Profit Leader
- Online Business Owner
- Social Impact Entrepreneur
- Social Media Expert
- YouTube Creator
As a member starts typing, they'll see your dropdown options. If none are relevant, they can add their own.
Choose a Member Category
Your members will be prompted in the main Activity Feed to add their Member Category.
See Members and Activity by Member Category
On the web, your chosen Member Category will be visible as a tab in the left navigation bar. Clicking on the tab will take you to a full page where you can see all the members in each category as well as a filter Activity Feed (or list view) of activity by members in each category:
When using the "post to all members of the in the category" function, the content will appear in the main Activity Feed in addition to the Member Category feed. The post will be seen across all members of your Mighty Network.
The Member Category tab is not visible on the mobile apps. To access activity by Member Category on mobile, navigate from a person's profile page.
Updated July 2022