Member Categories is an exclusive feature to your Mighty Network. It connects your members around a shared interest, like profession, specialty, or role.
Member Categories are available on The Community Plan or higher. They are disabled by default.
Enable Member Categories
To enable Member Categories, go to Network Settings > Premium Features > Member Categories, and select “On.” Once you've enabled categories, you can set up which type of category that's most relevant to you members.
There are currently 15 different options for Member Categories: Interest, Specialty, Profession, Role, Identity, Expertise, Discipline, Cause, Affiliation, Stage, Child's Age, Start Month, Condition, Diagnosis, Spectrum, and Industry.
Members choose only one Member Category, so they are likely to see and meet more members.
Each Member Category has a different question or prompt:
- Interest: “Meet members with the same primary interest by sharing yours”
- Speciality: “Meet members with the same primary specialty by sharing yours”
- Profession: “Meet members with the same primary profession by sharing what you do”
- Role: “Meet members with the same primary role by sharing yours”
- Identity: “Meet members with the same identity by sharing yours”
- Expertise: “Meet members with the same primary expertise by sharing yours”
- Discipline: “Meet members with the same primary discipline by sharing yours”
- Cause: “Meet members interested in the same primary cause by sharing what you care about”
- Affiliation: “Meet members with the same primary affiliation by sharing yours”
- Stage: “Meet members who are at the same stage by sharing yours”
- Child’s Age: “Meet members with children of the same age by sharing yours”
- Start Month: “Meet members who started at the same time by sharing when you started”
- Condition: “Meet members with the same condition by sharing yours”
- Diagnosis: “Meet members with the same diagnosis by sharing yours”
- Spectrum: “Meet members like you by sharing where you are on the spectrum”
- Industry: “Meet members in the same industry by sharing yours”
Add a Custom Dropdown List
After you select your type of Member Category, you can add options for your members to choose from. For example, for our own list in Mighty Hosts that prompts members to add their Profession, we’ve added:
- Brand Builder
- Community Manager
- Marketing Leader
- Not-for-Profit Leader
- Online Business Owner
- Social Impact Entrepreneur
- Social Media Expert
- YouTube Creator
As a member starts typing, they'll see your dropdown options. If none are relevant, they can add their own.
Choose a Member Category
Your members will be prompted in the main Activity Feed to add their Member Category. When they click on the prompt, they'll go to their Profile page to add. The category will then show up on their Profile.
But that's not all.
See Members and Activity by Member Category
On the web, your chosen Member Category will be visible as a tab in the left navigation. Clicking on the tab will take you to a full page where you can see all the members in that category as well as a filter Activity Feed (or list view) of activity by members in the category:
The Member Category tab is not visible on the mobile apps. To access activity by Member Category on mobile, navigate from a person's Profile page.
Member Categories are another great (and exclusive!) way to connect your members on your Mighty Network.