On the web, you can enable desktop notifications that will create a popup message in your browser each time a notification is received and your tab is not in focus.
The notifications that appear will depend on the settings that you’ve chosen in Personal Settings > Notifications.
You will also see the option when you open the chat icon from the top bar in your browser:
If you are not receiving notifications, follow the steps below for the following browsers:
Change your default notifications settings
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More > Settings.
- Click Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Notifications.
- Under Default behavior, select 'Sites can ask to send notifications'
- In the Safari menu, select Preferences > Websites. Choose Notifications in the left pane.
- Use the menu next to any website that has requested permission to send notifications to allow or deny the request.
- Click the lock icon in the address bar of your Firefox browser.
- On the right, click the arrow symbol > beside Connection status.
- Click More Information, then select the Permissions tab.
- Under Send Notifications, uncheck Use Default and select Allow.
If those steps don’t work, then you may need to look at your computer’s settings:
- Open System Settings on your Mac and select Notifications on the left pane.
- Now, scroll down to find the app you wish to receive notifications on, then click on it.
- Turn on Allow notifications, and you can start receiving notifications for that app on your Mac.
- Choose how you receive notifications between None, Banners, and Alerts.
- Check the other notification options and ensure they're all enabled, including Play sound for notification.
- On Windows, click the Start button and then Settings.
- In the navigation pane on the left, choose System, then Notifications.
- At the top of the page, make sure Notifications are on by swiping the button to the right.
- In the Notifications from apps and other senders section, make sure Google Chrome (or your other preferred browser) is turned on as well.